Inter-Parliamentary Coalition for Global Ethics
The Levant Initiative for the peace Process in the Middle East Global Summit - United Nations Headquarters
NOVEMBER 9TH SUMMIT AT U.N. HEADQUARTERS
MOBILIZING CULTURAL AND RELIGIOUS ETHICS TO PROMOTE THE U.N. POST 2015 DEVELOPMENT GOALS
The U.N. post 2015 development goals encompass ethics inherent in many cultures and religions on issues of social and environmental justice.
The Inter-Parliamentary Coalition for Global Ethics, in cooperation with the Institute of Noahide Code are launching a major initiative to create a global steering committee of religious leaders and cultural representatives to lead the efforts to harness cultural and religious ethics to promote these goals.
The ‘United Nations’ Headquarters faces the Isaiah Wall inscribed across from the main building. The quote from the prophet Isaiah was chosen as the founding motto for the world’s foremost organization for international peace. In his eternal thought, the day is mentioned when no nation will wage war against another nation, and when swords - the instruments of war - will be transformed into plowshares - the instruments for providing man’s sustenance. The Seven Universal Laws of Noah which are cited by the philosopher Hugo Grotius as the foundation for international law (the basis for the United Nations Charter) are the practical means, by which humanity can strive to live in unity and peace and can fulfill its potential to see all the families of the earth blessed. These laws for peace and unity encompass respect for G-d, for human life, respect for the Family, for other people's property, for the creation, respect for the judicial systems, and respect for all creatures and the environment.
Leaders in the fields of culture and religion are invited to share their insight and wisdom with the leading UN officials to assure that the vision of the United Nations, to have a peaceful and civilized world in which economic justice and righteousness prevail, can be fulfilled. The goal of this summit is to develop a coalition of religious and cultural leaders to work with the UN to implement the development goals towards a culture of peace and prosperity.
- GOAL 1 End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- GOAL 2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- GOAL 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- GOAL 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- GOAL 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- GOAL 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- GOAL 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- GOAL 8 Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- GOAL 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization andfoster innovation
- GOAL 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries
- GOAL 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- GOAL 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- GOAL 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- GOAL 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- GOAL 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation andhalt biodiversity loss
- GOAL 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provideaccess to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- GOAL 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
TOPICS TO BE COVERED:
- United Nations Resolutions on the Culture of Peace as a Pre-Condition for Peace, Security and Sustainable Development (Goals 1-17)
- Religious and Cultural Values as a driver for the implementation of the UN Post 2015 agenda (goals 1-17)
- Ethical Finance to "end poverty in all its forms everywhere" (goal 17)